Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday, Monday!

Had an UBERfun weekend, so now I'm jazzed and ready to roll! After sushi for lunch with the hubs, that is. :D

I sat in on a cool panel with some scifi authors at the con, and though that's not really my genre, they touched on an important point: staying true to your own world's mythos. I just finished the modern vampire novel 'Bottomfeeder' by B. H. Fingerman, and something about the ending really bothered me. Couldn't put my finger on it, until...

(SPOILER ALERT!) For the most part, his vampires were very traditional re. sunlight, non-aging, drinking blood, yadda...but then he broke the 'aging' rule for ONE character, just to throw the reader off. I felt thoroughly manipulated. I mean, WTF? Apart from that, the tale was well written, and that's a huge admission from me because as a rule, I hate stories penned in the first person. Okay, maybe the protagonist was mysteriously well-versed in artsy fartsy stuff for his working-class background, but overall the narrator's voice was readable and entertaining. Far too often, first person narratives are PAINFUL to read. Moreso than third person, in my book. Just my personal buggaboo. But Fingerman broke his own world's mythos, just to give the ending a surprise twist. And I nearly flushed the book down the toilet.

*phew!* I feel SO much better now, having purged that rant! Now, on to far more productive stuffs, like a spicy California Roll in a soy wrap...mmmmmmmmm........

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Christine (Cris) Griffin is a mother, wife, writer and artist. For queries, feel free to drop an email to alizarin _ griffin AT yahoo.com. Chin-chin!